Venison Chili and CornbreadJan 01, 2020 ● By Frisco STYLE
Provided by Chef Skyler Gauthier of Haywire
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours
Servings: 8 people
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup corn flour
- 3/4 cup corn meal
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp iodized salt
- 1 cup butter
- 3 cups sugar
- 6 whole eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup cottonseed oil
- 1 large yellow onion diced 1⁄4-inches
- 1 jalapeno diced 1⁄4-inches
- 1 Tbsp chopped garlic
- 1 lb chuck roll cut in one-inch cubes
- 1 lb ground venison
- 1 lb ground chuck
- 1 cup blonde ale
- 2 14 oz cans whole tomatoes crushed by hand
- 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp black pepper coarse ground
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 Tbsp dark chili powder
- 1 Tbsp garlic salt
- 1 Tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 Tbsp ancho chili powder
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 Tbsp molasses
- 1/2 bunch cilantro stems removed, chiffonade
- Mix together the flour, corn meal mix, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a mixer with a paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar on setting two. Add the eggs, one at time, beating well after each addition.
- Gently add the flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk.
- Spray the inside of each muffin pan with cooking spray and scoop the batter into prepared muffin pans. Bake at 325 degrees for 15-20 minutes.
- When the cake begins to pull away from the side of the pan, it is done.
- In a large pot, heat cottonseed oil over medium high heat. Add the yellow onions, jalapeño and chopped garlic and cook for eight minutes until softened.
- After eight minutes, add the chuck roll, venison and ground chuck and cook until the meat is cooked all the way through (about 15 minutes).
- Add the blonde ale and tomatoes and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the Italian seasoning, pepper, salt, cayenne pepper, dark chili powder, garlic salt, smoked paprika and ancho chili powder and cook for 15 minutes.
- Next, add the molasses, chicken stock and cilantro and cook for two hours, skimming off excess fat with a ladle as needed.
- Let the mixture simmer for a minimum of one hour.
- Serve the chili garnished with aged white cheddar, diced red onion and chopped chives.
Recipes Jan 20 0 stars kosher salt black pepper chicken stock baking soda sugar all-purpose flour corn flour corn meal iodized salt butter whole eggs buttermilk cottonseed oil large yellow onion jalapeno chopped garlic chuck roll ground venison ground chuck blonde ale cans whole tomatoes Italian seasoning cayenne pepper dark chili powder garlic salt smoked paprika ancho chili powder molasses bunch cilantro all purpose flour Steak/Beef