Dessert Fruit SushiMay 01, 2018 ● By Frisco STYLE
Provided by Becky Johnson
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Servings: 20 pieces
- 1 1/2 cup short grain rice
- 2 cup water
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- a variety of fruits (pineapple, strawberries, mango, kiwi, blackberries, raspberries) poppy seeds (optional)
- In a medium pot, combine the rice, water, sugar and salt. Cook the mixture on low heat for about 20 minutes (or until the rice absorbs the water).
- Add the coconut milk and vanilla. Cook the mixture for a few minutes longer, until it is moldable and moisture is absorbed.
- Lay out a bamboo rolling pad and place a square of wax paper over the top. Spread the rice about a half-inch thick over the paper into an approximately 5”X7” rectangle.
- Slice your fruit of choice into long pieces. Use a vegetable peeler to shave slices of mango.
- Toast the coconut shreds for three minutes. Lay the fruit pieces on rice and roll them up carefully (if the rice sticks to the paper too much, try spreading it a little thicker).
- Coat the rolls with either the mango slices or toasted coconut.
- Slice each roll into six pieces. Roll the rest of the rice into balls and place thin slices of kiwi or strawberries over the top (to look like nigiri) with half of a blackberry on top (to look like fish eggs).
- You can even roll the rice balls in poppy seeds for a unique look. Blend one-fourth cup of raspberries with one-fourth cup of water to make a dipping sauce.