Roast Rib of Beef au JusJun 23, 2017 ● By Frisco STYLE
Delicious roast rib recipe from Frisco Style Magazine.
Prep Time: 1 hour
Cook Time: 3.5 hours
Servings: 12 people
- 20 pound(s) beef rib roast ready, bone in
- 8 ounce(s) chopped onion
- 4 ounce(s) chopped carrot
- 4 ounce(s) chopped celery
- 1/2 gallon(s) brown stock/beef broth
- salt & pepper to taste
- Place the meat fat-side-up in a roasting pan. Insert a meat thermometer so the bulb is in the center of the meat, not touching bone or fat.
- fat. Place meat in a preheated 300°F (150°C) oven. Roast until rare or medium done, as desired, allowing for carryover cooking. Roasting time will be at least 3–4 hours.
- Remove the meat from the pan and let stand in a warm place 30 minutes before carving.
- Drain off all but 3–4 oz (100 g) of the fat from the roasting pan. Be careful to retain any juices in the pan.
- . Add the mirepoix to the pan. Set the pan over high heat and cook until mirepoix is brown and moisture has evaporated, leaving only fat, mirepoix and browned drippings. Pour off any excess fat.
- Pour about 1 pt (500 ml.) stock into the roasting pan to deglaze it. Stir over heat until brown drippings are dissolved.
- Pour the deglazing liquid and mirepoix into a saucepot with the remaining stock. Simmer until mirepoix is soft and liquid is reduced by about one-third. Strain through a china cap, lined with cheesecloth, into a bain-marie. Skim fat carefully. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- For service, stand the roast on its widest end. Cut down beside the bones to free the meat and slice the meat across the grain. Serve each portion with 1-1⁄2 oz (50 mL) jus.