Brined and Smoked TurkeyJun 23, 2017 ● By Frisco STYLE
Pursuing a culinary and pastry arts degree at Collin College Vincent Cao says cooking is a way to express himself and share happiness with others. “I love everything about the holiday season including the holiday dinner that brings families together. However, I’ve heard never-ending complaints about how turkey is dry, takes so long to cook and requires continual basting. This recipe is easy, delicious and could save many from their turkey troubles."
Prep Time: 2 days
Cook Time: 4 days
Servings: 14 people
- 1 10-12 lb turkey
- 4 gallon(s) water
- 2 cup(s) salt
- 1 gallon(s) ice
- 2 cup(s) honey or brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoon(s) garlic powder optional
- 2 tablespoon(s) onion powder optional
Brown Rice Stuffing with Pecans, Poblanos, & Cranberries
- 3 cup(s) cooked brown rice
- 1/3 cup(s) chopped pecans
- 1/3 cup(s) dried cranberries
- 1 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- 1/2 cup(s) poblano chile diced
- 1/2 cup(s) bread crumbs
For the Turkey
- Trim any excess fat from the turkey.
- Prepare the brine by heating 1 gallon of water; add the salt, sugar, and flavorings until the salt and sugar are dissolved. Add the remaining 3 gallons of cold water and 1 gal of ice to chill the brine.
- Place the turkey in a deep container. Pour in enough brine to completely submerge the turkey. Use plastic wrap and a weight to keep the turkey submerged. Brine the turkey refrigerated for 5-6 days.
- Remove the turkey from the brine, rinse with room temperature water, and blot dry. Refrigerate uncovered overnight to form a pellicle or skin.
- Either hot smoke the turkey at 185°F for 5 hours in a smoker or pan-smoke the turkey for 1 hour and finish roasting the turkey in a 275°F oven for four hours or until the turkey has a rich caramel color.
For the Stuffing
- Heat the olive oil in a sauté pan. Add the pecans, poblanos, and cranberries. Saute for about 1 minute.
- Add the cooked brown rice and bread crumbs. Stir over heat until the mixture is hot. Season to taste.
- Use to stuff a completely cooked turkey.