Cheesy Turkey with a KickJun 23, 2017 ● By Frisco STYLE
Pursuing an associate degree in applied science, with a specialization in pastry arts Erika acquired her love of food from her father’s homemade traditional Peruvian entrees and her mother’s desserts. Her first kitchen memory is making Christmas cookies with her mother and sister. “My inspiration comes from many different places and people. I selected a dish inspired by my cultural background. I modified the Peruvian “aji de gallina” by replacing a few items not easily found in Texas with local ingredients. Also, using turkey instead of chicken provides a new and delicious way to enjoy holiday leftovers.”
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Servings: 4 people
- 8 ounce(s) cooked turkey breast
- 1/4 loaf white bread
- 2 1/2 tablespoon(s) Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon(s) vegetable oil
- 1/4 red onion chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) ground turmeric
- 1 hard boiled egg sliced
- 2 cup(s) chicken or turkey stock
- 1/4 can(s) evaporated milk (3 fl oz)
- 2 tablespoon(s) walnut pieces
- 1 clove(s) garlic minced
- 1 Habanero or Serrano chili pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) ground nutmeg
- 4 black olives pitted & quartered
- 1 cup(s) long-grain white rice (Jasmine preferred)
- 1 teaspoon(s) olive oil
- 2 cup(s) chicken broth low-sodium
- 1/2 tablespoon(s) unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
For the Turkey
- Shred the cooked turkey. Reserve.
- Remove crusts from the bread and cube it. Add evaporated milk and 1 cup of stock. Puree in a blender until soft. Add parmesan cheese & walnuts; blend until smooth.
- Carefully, remove seeds & veins from the chili pepper. Rinse it, and mince it finely.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in minced garlic and onion; cook until the onion turns translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in shredded turkey and minced chili pepper, until heated.
- Pour in bread puree and cook until hot, stirring frequently. If too thick, add some of the remaining stock. Season with turmeric and nutmeg.
- Simmer 5 more minutes.
- Serve garnished with hard boiled egg slices and black olives. Accompany with a side of white rice and/or baked potato slices.
For the Rice
- Melt butter with the olive oil & salt in a saucepan. Add chicken broth (or water) & bring to a boil.
- Add rice & cook 5-10 minutes. Reduce to low heat and cover the pan. Cook 20-30 minutes.
- Stir lightly and serve.