Flag Layer CakeJun 20, 2017 ● By Frisco STYLE
Celebrate the Fourth with this flag layer cake recipe from Frisco Style
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Servings: 1 cake
- 3 boxes white cake mix
- red and blue food coloring
- white frosting of your choice for the outside of the cake
- red, white and blue melting candies for decorative pieces on cake
- Prepare all three cake batters according to instructions on the box. Add red food coloring to one batter, blue to another, and leave the third white.
- Divide batters into 9-inch round pans (each box of mix should make two layers) and bake as directed on box.
- Let the layers completely cool. Level off the top of each cake. Stack the five layers using a fruit spread or frosting of your choice to hold them together.
- Stack a whole red layer and a whole white layer then cut the remaining red, white and blue cakes in half.
- To stack the remaining layers of the cake, alternate half of a blue layer of cake and half of a red layer of cake, then stack a half blue and half white layer and then stack a half blue layer and a half red layer of cake. (You will have half of a white cake and half of a blue cake left).
- Ice and decorate the cake however you would like. Use melting candies to create stars or fireworks.