Red Velvet Cake TrifleJun 20, 2017 ● By Frisco STYLE
Try this twist on a traditional trifle, courtesy of Frisco Style Magazine
Prep Time: 35 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Servings: 6 people
- 1 cup(s) unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 3/4 cup(s) granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 cup(s) cake flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1 cup(s) buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon(s) baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoon(s) white vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon(s) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 ounce(s) red food coloring
- 4 ounce(s) cream cheese at room temperature
- 8 ounce(s) mascarpone cheese
- 1/3 cup(s) granulated white sugar
- 2 cup(s) heavy whipping cream
For the Cake
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 9x13-inch pan with cooking spray then dust lightly with flour.
- With an electric mixer, blend butter and sugar in a large bowl; set aside. Sift together flour and salt; set aside.
- Mix eggs, buttermilk, vanilla, baking soda and vinegar in a separate bowl.
- Alternate adding flour mixture and buttermilk mixture to butter mixture. Mix well after each addition.
- In a small bowl, mix red food coloring and cocoa powder; add to the cake batter and mix until combined. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 30-40 minutes.
For the Syrup
- In a small saucepan, bring sugar and water to boil over medium heat.
- Stir to dissolve sugar completely. Stir in vanilla. Let cool.
- Cut the cake in half and cut one half into chunks; brush with cooled syrup. You likely will not need more than half of the cake for the trifle.
For the Whipped Layer
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese, mascarpone and sugar on high speed until light and fluffy.
- Reduce speed to medium and slowly pour in whipping cream.
- Continue beating until mixture resembles soft whipped cream.
Assemble the Trifle
- In the bottom of your trifle dish, arrange a single layer of red velvet cake chunks. Spoon about 1 1/2 cups of the whipped topping on top of the cake cubes. Next, sprinkle almonds and then shaved chocolate.
- Keep repeating layers until you run out of room in your dish. Garnish with mint leaves and fresh cranberries.
Recipes 0 stars water granulated sugar baking soda Desserts salt buttermilk unsalted butter cream cheese Large Eggs vanilla extract fresh cranberries white vinegar mint leaves sliced almonds heavy whipping cream red food coloring cake flour unsweetened cocoa powder mascarpone cheese granulated white sugar shaved dark chocolate