Beef ChiliJun 22, 2017 ● By Frisco STYLE
Hearty beef chili recipe from Frisco Style Magazine
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Servings: 1 batch
- 1 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- 3 pound(s) beef shoulder cubed
- 3 tablespoon(s) ancho chili powder
- 1 tablespoon(s) ground coriander
- 2 tablespoon(s) ground cumin
- 2 teaspoon(s) sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon(s) dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) ground nutmeg
- 2 onions diced
- 10 clove(s) garlic halved
- 3 chipotle peppers in adobo chopped
- 1 jalapeno seeded & chopped
- 1 teaspoon(s) sugar
- 2 tablespoon(s) tomato paste
- 28 ounce(s) whole tomatoes crushed by hand
- 1/2 cup(s) masa harina
- 3 cup(s) shredded white Cheddar for garnish
- 2 bunches chopped chives for garnish
- 1 1/2 cup(s) sour cream for garnish
- In a large soup pot, heat olive oil. Season beef shoulder with salt and pepper, add to the pot and brown. As it’s browning, stir in chili powder, coriander, cumin, paprika, oregano and nutmeg.
- Lower the temp. under meat to “toast” the spices.
- In a food processor, puree onions, garlic, chipotle peppers, jalapeno, tomato paste and sugar. Add to the pot.
- Increase heat to medium to steam vegetables a little and sweeten the peppers. Add enough water to cover by 1 inch, about 1 qt., and add tomatoes with their liquid.
- Bring to a boil and skim off any foam that rises to the surface. Reduce heat and simmer until the meat is fork-tender and comes apart with no resistance, about 2 hrs.
- As it cooks down, add more water, if necessary. When done, stir in the masa harina.
- Mash the chili so the meat comes apart in shreds. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Garnish each serving with the shredded Cheddar, chives and sour cream.