Vegan Flourless Chocolate CakeJun 21, 2017 ● By Frisco STYLE
Check out this innovative vegan cake recipe from the Frisco Style Magazine
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 1.5 hours
Servings: 14 people
Flourless Chocolate Cake
- 2/3 cup(s) quinoa (2 cups when cooked)
- 1/3 cup(s) almond milk
- 1 1/3 cup(s) applesauce
- 1 teaspoon(s) vanilla
- 1/2 cup(s) agave nectar
- 3/4 cup(s) coconut oil melted
- 3/4 cup(s) coconut palm sugar
- 1 cup(s) cocoa/cacao
- 1 1/2 teaspoon(s) baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1 cup(s) strawberries
- 1 1/2 cup(s) dark chocolate (70 or 85% Cocoa Solids)
- 3/4 cup(s) coconut milk
- 3 tablespoon(s) agave nectar
- 1 pinch salt
For the Cake
- Preheat oven to 350F/175C. Grease two 8-inch baking pans with baking spray or coconut oil and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- In a blender, combine almond milk, applesauce, vanilla and agave nectar. Blend for about 20 seconds.
- Then, add cooked quinoa and melted coconut oil. Blend all ingredients for another 30-40 seconds until smooth.
- In a large bowl, mix together coconut palm sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add the quinoa mixture to the dry ingredients. Mix well so that all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Divide evenly between the two baking pans and bake for 1 to 1 hr. and 20 mins. After an hour, check if your cake is ready by inserting a knife or toothpick. If it comes out clean, your cake is done. Remove from the oven and let cool completely in the baking pans.
For the Ganache
- Heat coconut milk in a small pot over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Melt chocolate in a double boiler. If you don't have one, fill half of a medium pot with water and bring to a simmer. Place a ceramic or glass plate on top of the pot. Add chocolate to the plate and melt, stirring occasionally.
- Remove coconut milk and chocolate from the heat and combine. Add pinch of salt and agave nectar. Mix well. Let set at room temperature for 1h 30 min to 2 hours.
- Wash strawberries and cut them lengthwise.
- When the cake is completely cool, place the first layer on a plate. You want to invert it so that the surface is flat.
- Cover with ⅓ of chocolate ganache and strawberries. Place the second cake layer on top and frost the top and the sides of the cake with the rest of the ganache.
- To decorate the cake with strawberries, start by placing a ring of strawberries with their points facing out. Continue layering rings of strawberries around the cake, overlapping each layer, until you reach the centre.